>

Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Truffle in France

Last weekend we went to France for a weekend getaway. I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to take some photo's of my two Truffle dresses which I made from the Colette Sewing Handbook.

How great is the colour of this door?
We went to the third smallest town in France, and it was great! We got to sit outside with the dogs the whole evening while enjoying great wine and food.
The first real dress (with an invisible zipper and a lined bodice) I made was a pink wool gingham Truffle, which I was absolutely in love with! 
All things made by me..
Our lovely hotel
Now, after sewing a lot more dresses (and losing a little bit of weight unintentionally), I see so many fit issues that I can't stand to wear this dress in public.. When it is hanging down and if I don't push my shoulders back, you don't notice it a lot, but I still notice it..

The back neckline is gaping like crazy, and the bodice is way too big. But since I lined the bodice, I think it will be a lot of work fixing this, what do you guys think?
Gaping!
More gaping!
I think I will eventually change the bodice, just because I love the fabric so much! It is really soft wool.

My first invisible zipper
Ooh! while typing this I realized something.. When I was at the fabric store buying this wool, I asked the lady about pre washing the fabric, and she told me I was crazy. Now, after working with wool and always pre washing it, maybe that might be my solution! Throwing the dress in the washing machine on the wool setting.. Hmm.. Might try that..

This is my second Truffle dress, without the ruffled skirt part.
Sorry for the wrinkles, there was no iron in the hotel!

/
What kind of cotton is this?
My second Truffle dress is a blue cotton (not sure what you call this type of fabric) with a lace back. I retraced the bodice back and then cut out the part which I wanted to make in lace.

Inside out
I also moved the zipper to the side, which worked out great. I made my own bias binding for the armhole and necklines, and an invisible hand-sewn hem.
Little doggy butts in the corner..

Hand sewn hem
It is a bit on the short side, but I think it works because the front of the dress isn't too revealing..

This weekend I was also awarded the Super Sweet Blogger Award by Annette Tirette! I was soo excited to see my name there! Thanks soo much Annette!

wpid-super-sweet-blogging-award21w6451
One of my cake-creations
THE RULES: 
1. Thank the Super Sweet Blogger that nominated you. 
2. Answer 5 Super Sweet questions.
3. Include the Super Sweet Blogging Award in your blog post.
4. Nominate a baker’s dozen (13) of other deserving bloggers.
5. Notify your Super Sweet nominees on their blog.

THE 5 SUPER SWEET QUESTIONS:
1 – Cookies or Cake? Definitely cake! We get soo much cake at the veterinary clinic where I work and I absolutely love it! I also love to bake my own cakes, maybe I would prefer cupcakes over cakes, but that was not one of the options.. 
2 – Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate! For sure! This is my favourite recipe: Chianti Chocolate Cupcakes..
3 – Favourite Sweet Treat? The sour sweets, I really like those.
4 – When Do You Crave Sweet Things The Most? After I finish work while I'm driving my car! I eat a lot of liqourice then..
5 – Sweet Nick Name? Cocodrillo :)

I nominate the following bloggers: (not a baker's dozen, but that's quite a lot!) Rachel In Red and Coser Cosas!


7 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so cool with the lace back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress! I have had the same gaping issue on the back and under the arms with my truffle dress. Caused me to not finish it and threw it away :) I hope the washing will help, beause that too is a pretty dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the nomination, I'll get back on that. I love the lace back dress, it's very stylish and very flattering.
    The fit issues with beginner projects is so recognisable. Back then i was so enthousiastic about something I made, and now that I know hoe to do it properly I just don't want to wear it anymore.
    Washing it might help. I did it with my Pavot jacket and it turned out okay. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm maybe it is a pattern thing, I just read a blog post from another blogger who had the same issue with a Peony dress.. I'll let you know what happens if I wash it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rachel! Yeah with my first dresses I was soo happy that I could wear it out in public, but now all I see are fit issues with them.. Glad to hear that it worked on you Pavot jacket, I was afraid it might mess up the stitches..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kim, thanks for the nomination! I'm almost done with my post where this is featured. The new truffle looks great, I love lace inserts! My peony gapes a bit too in the back, but not that much... And definitely not as much to have me rip seams open and insert darts and what not... I don't like going back to finished pieces.
    And the white cotton is called picquée, often used in Spain for baby-clothes and accesories. I love the texture and feel of the picquée, it has a really glamourous feel, and the 2 little Belgian princesses wore a picquée dress made by Nathan during the enthronement ceremony of their father King Filip... So you are in good company!

    ReplyDelete