>

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Finally, the Rigel Bomber

There are so many gorgeous Rigel Bombers popping up everywhere, that I couldn't resist and made one myself! My sister gave me this pattern for christmas, thanks Mieke for the amazing present! (Even though it is a bit of a selfish gift, as she already had one on her wish list as well.. 

So when I went to the Antwerp meet-up I was only looking for Rigel fabrics.. I spotted this fabric at  Moens fabrics, it feels like a suede, but I actually think it is a fake suede (price and thickness wise). 
I cut a size xs and only lenghtened the sleeves an inch, which is a normal adjustment for me. At first I also lengthened the body with an inch, but after seeing other finished ones, I decided that the length would be perfect if it was just a bit shorter.

After reading about how most of you preferred to line their Rigel I decided to follow.. I had a silk panel from Italy in my stash.. I really liked the print, but it was too much for a shirt, so perfect lining material! I really had to squeeze it in order to be able to fit all the pieces onto the silk, so no perfect pattern matching unfortunately.. Ahhh well, I can live with that, I'll even show it to you..
 I also made this shirt I'm wearing, I love the print on this silk! And I've got 2 more meters..
I topstitched the lining at the bottom, not the prettiest, so next time I will follow Elizabeth's tips!

I made version 2, which has a cool geometric detail on the shoulders. It felt like a small puzzle putting it together, which I really enjoyed..
 It was my first try at welt pockets, I ended up using the Craftsy tutorial, which I found quite helpful. The only small issue I have is that the neck ribbing has the tendency to wrinkle and stand away from my neck a bit.. Anyone else have this? Or any suggestions how to prevent this next time?

Because there will be a next time for sure! My sister keeps hinting at the fabric she has, which will make a perfect summer Rigel..

I've hardly taken it off since I finished it last week.. I even had a girl asking where I got my jacket from and after telling her that I'd made it myself she said: Ahhh I was afraid of that, since I didn't see a label.. And then she asked me if I was studying fashion or something similar :D
I really do have to get some nice labels though..


34 comments:

  1. Woooow! Je suis in LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out beautiful! I really like the it in that bold purple. I think my next one might have to be a solid colour too. Your lining turned out great! thanks for linking to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dangit, now I want one even more!!!!! I have fabric earmarked for it, but I've piled up a ridiculous load of projects with deadlines that have to be sewn first. :( I really like your fabric choice. It's so unusual and looks very luxe! The lining is amazing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely lovely! That's a goood looking Rigel. Great lining too! And your shirt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! The welt pockets look so cute, and the lining really makes it :)

    I'm a bit scared of jackets and coats but maybe the Rigel bomber is the place to start...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would totally wear that inside out too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Rigel is AMAZING! I really want to make one this winter and I'm just trying to find the perfect fabric. Thank you for inspiring me to keep hunting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good Rigel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Elizabeth! I'd love to see your version in a solid colour, I think it will turn out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sonja! It is quite a quick make, so might be nice and refreshing after all the deadline sewing.. What kind of fabric do you have in mind? Good luck with the deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! Looking forward to your theory testing :) I did use a ribbing fabric, and cut it according to the pattern piece, I've noticed that it stays upright better when I wear my jacket open, maybe it pulls a bit to the back when I zip it up... Strange!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Sophie! I was super inspired by your gorgeous version.. I'm on the lookout for the right polka dot fabric..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I'd really recommend this as a starting point for jackets, it's quite a quick make and really versatile too! Would love to see your version :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha I can totally see you wearing it inside out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Kelly! I'm going to try and shorten the ribbing a bit next time indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks! A winter version would be perfect as well, I'm thinking a nice wool would be gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a gold jacquard, some sort of poly blend, that I purchased with an Elisalex dress in mind but now I can't shake the idea of a gold jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A bomber wouldn't normally be my thing but after seeing yours I kinda wish I had the right amount of sewing experience to be able to make one... really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, this is beautiful! I love the fabrics you've chosen. Such an inspiring version. And I agree with the others - your top is stunning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh that sounds like it would make a gorgeous Rigel!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Sasha! It really isn't that hard, the only part where you really have to pay attention is with the welt pockets.. But you can practice those first :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm loving all the variation bloggers are coming up with for their Rigels! It's not a pattern I'd wear but really interesting to see every time. This version looks great with that subtle texture the suede provides. Great lining too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Laura Sharp FisherApril 10, 2014 at 4:11 PM

    This is gorgeous, Kim! Are you taking part in Fashion Revolution?? You could totally wear this jacket inside out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Coole Bomber! De paarse suede is ongewoon en origineel en de voering is supervrolijk. Ik vind die schouderpuzzel zo cool. En de zakken zien er echt superprofessioneel uit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Amy! I love to see all the different versions :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Laura! I'm thinking about taking part in Fashion Revolution, sounds like such a cool initiative!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dankje Wendy! Ik was ook heel erg blij toen ik de paarse suede vond, ze hadden hem in heel veel kleuren, dus misschien maar weer een dagje antwerpen plannen!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow this is so gorgeous!! I love the fabric & the lining - it all looks so perfect and neat as well!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Kathryn! I'm very happy with the result as well!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kim, where do you shop in Italy for fabrics? I had a terrible time in Milan and Como, and I don't even know how to find reliable shops but you have mentioned a specific place that you frequently go to.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Sonia! I go to Tessuti Cocci in Fossombrone (http://www.tessuticocci.eu/) They have a great selection and very friendly staff!

    ReplyDelete