>

Thursday, July 4, 2013

My third wiggle dress, beer and cake

After making a wiggle dress in stretch fabric and one in wool, I've decided to make another one in silk. I finished it on sunday, but my lapped zipper was super wonky and had to be ripped out.. 
First time photographing silk, I guess you see all the wrinkles!
Then my dog Milo wasn't feeling all too well, so I had to take him to work to get him checked out. Because of that I only changed the zipper today, but now it's ready to be blogged about!

At least he hasn't lost his appetite..
That's at least two of the perks of being a vet, you get a lot of cake and you can bring your dog when he's feeling a bit under the weather..


My pattern adjustments, the smaller darts are the orignal ones

Since I've already made the pattern for the wiggle dress out of Gertie's new book for better sewing twice, I knew which fit alterations I had to make. I widened and lengthened both of the darts in the back. 
 Because it was going to be a summery silk dress I've ditched the sleeves. I just cut a straight line from where the mark for the gusset was and voila, sleeveless dress!

I had to make this adjustment anyway since I didn't have enough silk (it was a remnant for only 2.50 euro) to make a dress with sleeves. 
I really like the way the sleeves turned out, maybe I'll even make another top from the same pattern.

Again, excuse me for the wrinkles..
And then the back happened. There pattern calls for a lapped zipper which I hadn't tried before. My other wiggle dresses are made with invisible zippers. Since I always like to try something new I decided to add a lapped zipper. What a failure! I think things went downhill when I decided not to follow Gertie's instructions and sew the zipper first before finishing the rest of the seam. I will let you look at these horrible pictures first...

Doesn't look too bad? Wait until you see the close-up..

Aaargh!! 
And I even walked the dogs in this wonky-zipper-dress!


Do lapped zippers work in silk? Or is it me?

I knew I had to change it to an invisible zipper, for which I found the energy today. I had an unexpected evening free when my sister had to leave me alone in the bar with two unfinished beers, because she suddenly had to go to work (she works in a restaurant and it had became very busy all of a sudden!).
All alone all of a sudden
So after finishing the beers I sewed in this zipper and I'm very happy now!
Much better, an invisible zipper 
Stashbusting count: 1/15

19 comments:

  1. How awesome it turned out! Glad I told you to fix that zipper, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis! Glad we got to drink beer afterwards :)

      Delete
  2. Awww, poor baby, hope he feels better soon! I'm jealous that you're a vet-- I often wish I had gone that direction when I was choosing my career. Meanwhile, I'll just content myself with adopting all the pets I can (two new turtles today, hooray!).

    ANYWAYSSSS... the dress looks so nice on you! It's a great shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, he's feeling much better now, especially because he gets his antibiotics twice a day in a small bit of sausage :) Aahh would be so cool if you were a sewing-vet too, but I think that it is a lot more difficult getting into vet school in the us than in the netherlands..
      Wow, two new turtles! How old are they?

      Delete
  3. Its gorgeous! Love that color too. And for a wiggle dress it looks really modern as well. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job fixing the zipper. Often when I've finished a garment, and I've already started working on a new project, I'm really not into fixing something from a previous project. But I'm sure you're glad you did. I love how this dress turned out. And that fabric is gorgeous. Love the little dots on it. And the color suits you very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah me too, often even before I'm finished I just want to get it done.. My hems are usually the sloppiest of the whole garment.. But this zipper was soo horrible, I wouldn't have worn it otherwise. And since I already have another garment on my blog that needed some alterations, I figured I'd fix it first before posting another garment I still had to work on :) Blog pressure haha!

      Delete
  5. Lapped zips can be pesky like that! I recently had to made some costumes for the school production and every pattern they wanted me to make had a lapped zip, it was infuriating. Gorgeous dress by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zoe! Ooh I can only imagine what a lot of work that must have been!I found it really difficult to get it nice and flat.. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  6. Fortunately the zipper worked out just fine. It would have been a real shame to see that dress ruined by a zipper...
    I hope you enjoyed the Leffe, it's my favorite beer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wendy! The Leffe blond is very tasty indeed, it's my all time favourite beer as well! Can you get it in Spain? Otherwise I'll have to send you some :)

      Delete
  7. Fortunately the zipper worked out just fine. It would have been a real shame to see that dress ruined by a zipper...
    I hope you enjoyed the Leffe, it's my favorite beer...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I do a lapped zipper, I have to look up the directions all over again, so I feel your lapped zipper pain! The dress turned out very nicely in the end, though, so I vote you make a top from the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silvia - Sewing PrincessAugust 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM

    I really like the fabric you chose. I am yet to make a dress from Gertie's book. This one is my favorite pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress looks really good. I use only invisible zippers for all the clothes I make. I like your posts, keep going :)

    www.ladyhourglass.blogspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the compliment Isabela!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like the zipper opening would have benefitted from some stay tape to stop it getting wobbly. I don't think finishing the seam below it first makes much difference - that's what I did recently for my first lapped zip an it was okay. I also wonder if the fact that you used an invisible zipper made a difference in how it sits?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only learnt invisible zipper yesterday and my next pattern that I'm planning to start calls for a lapped zipper. Scary now to to go for the lapped version. :)

    ReplyDelete