>

Saturday, December 14, 2013

My Ohhh Lulu Bali Bikini

For my trip to Bali I needed a new bikini, after some searching I found the gorgeous bikini that Sarah from Ohhh Lulu made using her patterns. The top is made using the Jasmine Bra pattern and the panties are made with the Grace Panties pattern.
 Since I'd never used an Ohhh Lulu pattern before I wanted to make a wearable muslin first, to get an idea about the construction and sizing, I used some underwear elastic and knit fabric from my stash and some of Mood's plaid flannel (I still want to make pyjama's from this fabric!).

 The fit was really good, so on I went with my bikini plans. I still had some blue swimwear lycra in my stash. I ordered swimwear lining, boning and elastic from Lingeriestoffen.nl.
I followed Sarah's instructions and made the same changes as she did. One of them is to make the back band narrower, so it fits the bikini closure.


I also sewed boning onto the front and side seams, which make it nice and sturdy, it even stays up without needing the straps!

 Not that you need a sturdy bikini for sunbathing..
 For diving however.. It is very useful!

 I'm super happy with my new bikini, and it wasn't a lot of work either! I'd definitely recommend this for anyone who wants to make a bikini..

I was hoping that I could also make a black Bombshell swimsuit before my trip, but unfortunately the black swimsuit lining wasn't available in time. I've now got it safely stashed away for springtime however!

20 comments:

  1. I am sitting here in snow covered New Jersey and you're torturing me with photos of tropical climates and swimming pools. Le sigh.
    The bathing suit looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry! If it makes you feel any better, these pics are a month old.. Here in The Netherlands it's quite cold and gloomy and we just decorated our christmas tree :) so were hoping for some snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO pro! I want to make one of these now. Was inserting the boning hard? Hope you had a glorious time in Bali.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sophie! The boning wasn't hard at all, I used boning which already came in a casing, so I just had to sew that onto the seams.. I only broke a needle when I wasn't paying attention and sewed over the boning, but if you pay attention it really isn't hard! Bali was so much fun, miss it already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I had plans to make a swimsuit this summer (I'd made one a few years back...) but ran out of time. So I'll have all the supplies and fabric on hand for the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow nice work! have you used boning before? it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks like a professional job, just awesome! I have a Bombshell in the works, you are now inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous! I'd been wondering how the ohh lulu patterns would translate into swimwear - clearly very well! I hope you Bali trip was as wonderful at the pictures imply it was :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Bali looks amazing! And what a cute suit! I cut out this combo in hot pink but couldn't find the time to sew it up this summer-- oh, well, next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Rachel! Sounds like you're ready to go at the first sign of sun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Kriston! I haven't used boning before, guess that's why I broke a needle trying to sew over it.. But it wasn't hard at all, I just followed Sarah's advise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! Would love to see more Bombshells :) I will make mine in spring I guess..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bali was indeed wonderful :) Super relaxing too! I think the patterns make super cute swimwear, with a bit of a vintage vibe, at least that's what my bf and mom told me..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, hot pink! Sounds like it will make an amazing bikini! I'll keep my eye out for your bikini next summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous bikini, Kim! And so clever to put boning in the top!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm stupid late to this comment part but I wanted to comment and tell you how much I loooove this! I don't think I've ever seen a swimsuit pattern like this - not overly skimpy, not overly retro (I love retro patterns, but sometimes ya just want a basic bikini, you know?) - ok I know it's not a "true" swimsuit pattern, but the mods to make it one are spot-on! It's very classic and it looks SUPER good on you! Now I want one... and I want some Bali, too, pls and thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I love your bikini. I have got those patterns and was about to make some lingerie. Even better I can make swimwear ... yay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Sandra! It's a lot of fun to make swimwear :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, this is so amazing! I'm making one right now and I'm excited to see how it fits. How did you do your straps?? Do I have to turn a tube? I would love some guidance. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Steph! Yours will probably be gorgeous! I indeed made the straps by making tubes first, but then cutting a small notch in them and turning them with a bobby pin.. I followed Sewaholic's tutorial: http://sewaholic.net/saltspring-sew-along-3-straps/
    If you have any other questions let me know :)

    ReplyDelete