>

Monday, May 26, 2014

I finally made a Bombshell! Sew it up week 3


For this weeks Sew it up challenge (you can vote here!) I made an outfit inspired by the artist Ted Parker. It was the perfect excuse to get my act together and finally make the gorgeous Bombshell swimsuit pattern from Heather at Closet Case Files.
First the video I made for you guys :) The water was still super cold!

And my inspiration:
www.ted-parker.com
I’ve had this pattern ever since it came out last year, but when my black lining fabric wasn’t delivered in time for our trip to Bali I kinda forgot about it (also because it was winter ofcourse..)

So when I read that we had to make an artist inspired outfit, I ran to the copyshop to get my Bombshell pattern printed!  I found some black and white (gingham?) swimsuit fabric, and it is actually more fabric like then your normal lycra. Which gives it a real 50’s vibe for me.

 It was a lot of fun to make, I followed the sewalong, which is super detailed! The only thing I messed up was when I decided to serge the back seam about 5 times, which made it really thick. After spending 3 hours to unpick everything it was smooth sailing from there on. I find that if I serge seams that get a little bit of strain on them the stitches really show on the right side. I guess it’s a tension thing with my serger, but so far I haven’t figured it out yet.. Any tips?
The dreaded back seam.. 
Fit wise I graded from a size 6 on top to a size 7 around my waist and hips. The first two times I put it on I actually heard a  very soft ripping sound, but now I don’t hear anything and I don’t see any torn stitches, so I’m hoping I’ll be fine!
  My skirt is the Chardon skirt from Deer and Doe. Which I will blog about a bit later :)
Do you have any specific summer sewing plans? I’ve been spotting Lladybirds new bikini on Instagram and immediately thought: I have some black lycra in my stash! I’ve been tempted to buy it right away as Papercut Patterns now also has pdf downloads..  But then there’s also the Nettie pattern, which I could make out of leftover fabric from this Bombshell.. Aargh the temptation!
Shane is getting tired of modelling
If I can be very annoying once again and please ask you to vote for me here? I’d be forever grateful!
Shane by Ted Parker



31 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love the fabric you've used, I've had the pattern for a while but am still trying to find some nice fabric for it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out so great, and you look fabulous in your suit! I have my bombshell cut out since september last year, and seeing yours made me want to finall put it together. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. check you out!!! This looks AMAZING!!!
    A swimming costume that survives jumping in the pool is a good swimming costume in my opinion
    Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I'm planning in a swimsuit, too! A red, bombshell inspired tankini!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beeeautiful on you. Gingham is such a bomb-shell appropriate print too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so awesome and you look beautiful. Totally a Bombshell! I really need to get on mine for next summer (Southern hemisphere). You've inspired me! Hope you win

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous swimsuit and photos. You're inspiring me! I may have to try this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regina RyckewaertMay 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM

    Op mijn thuis-pc lukt het niet om te reageren op je blog, op m'n werk-pc wel, sssst... :)
    Supermooi! Ik heb op je gestemd ;)
    Voor m'n tweede Belladone ben ik nog op zoek naar de perfecte stof, ik dacht 'm gevonden te hebben, maar bij nader inzien toch niet helemaal wat ik zocht.
    De stoffen van Atelier Brunette vind ik heel mooi, maar die heb ik nog niet kunnen voelen...
    Groetjes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeeee, it's so gorgeous!!! As are you, in it. Love the photos - this is one me made I hope gets a lot of wear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently finished the Bombshell bathing suit as well. The hardest process for me was getting those front pieces sandwiched in right, yeah.. I pinned it 4 times, thank goodness I did not sew it the first time around. My insides do not look as neat as yours (yes, I have a little seam finish envy ) and wouldn't dare show it on my blog. Yours is so perfect, so well sewn. And I love the fabric you selected.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so great on you! I love it! And your inspiration is super cool! I have the new Papercut swimsuit cut out, but sort of chickened out on sewing it. I think I need to get going on it- why not?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super mooi Kim! Waar heb je dat mooie stofje vandaan?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I love a black and white swimsuit and it looks great on you. I'm tempted to try this pattern but until we have holiday plans, I won't need one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous suit! i'm definitely making one this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Sally! I was super happy with the fabric too, I've seen this made up in lots of different fabrics and love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Inge! Posting bathing suit images is always quite scary, but I was so happy with the result :) What kind of fabric did you choose for your bombshell? Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay thanks Hannah! It is super sturdy indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds like a super good plan too! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yaay thanks Sophie! When I spotted the fabric I knew it had to become a Bombshell indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks :) Ahh yes, so you still have a couple of months to make one! It is actually quite a quick make, so I'm looking forward to yours! Fingers crossed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Karen! I think you'll look amazing in a Bombshell!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha geheim ;) Bedankt voor het stemmen! Het kan eraan liggen als de ene een mac is en de ander internet explorer, blijkbaar werkt discus niet zo goed met internet explorer.. Mijn atelier brunette stof is behoorlijk zacht, maar nog wel met wat stevigheid van de katoen. Niet zo draperend als voile bijvoorbeeld.. Lastig he, de perfecte stof vinden?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it! The black and white are perfect with this suit :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Plan maar eentje en ik kom zeker :) Dan kan Inge ook komen (van Inge maakt)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ik lees net dat je deze week afgevallen bent, heel jammer :( Ik vond dat je echt iets moois gemaakt had!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jaa jammer he :( gelukkig ben ik zelf heel blij met mn outfit dus dat scheelt iig :) ik ga Inge even een berichtje sturen om te kijken of we samen een meetup kunnen organiseren!

    ReplyDelete
  27. joepie voor de meetup! Ik denk dat ik er dan een weekendje van ga maken :) btw voor de 14'de als je wil kan je bij mij blijven slapen dan moet je niet heel die afstand op 1 dag doen. Ik kan de 14'de pas later komen omdat ik eerst moet werken, maar dat maakt niet uit, Hanne neemt ook de trein van Antwerpen, dus als je 1 of 2 nachtjes wil logeren, laat het maar horen, we hebben zelfs een echte gastenkamer :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your fabric selection is so spot on and I love your action shots!

    ReplyDelete